This page is designed to help get you started in creating a Facebook page for your chapter. In time, we will add information on other social media outlets such as Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
Why create a Facebook (FB) page
- Information on your events, chapter meetings, activities etc. will be seen by a much wider audience in your area as well as globally.
- Free publicity
- Access to younger and wider audiences
- Ability to “Sell” your services: classes, programs, demonstrations and arrangements for events
- Educate viewers on the art of ikebana and its various schools
- Provide continuous data (called Insights) into who you are reaching and more
- Provide link access to email address (use your chapter email address) or your chapter website or other social media platforms
Getting Organized to start your Facebook page
- You need to have a personal Facebook page before you can create a business Facebook page for your chapter.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have a personal Facebook page. They are easy to create and you don’t have to keep them current. You just have to keep the Chapter Facebook page current.
- When creating your chapter Facebook page, be sure you create a Business page and not another personal page. Business pages give you greater flexibility to promote and “sell” what your chapter does.
- It is important to utilize the chapter email address on your chapter Facebook page.
- Name your chapter business Facebook page with the words Ikebana or Ikebana International, your chapter city name, and your chapter # (optional).
- Examples are: Ikebana Naples, or Ikebana International Mobile, or Ikebana International Los Angeles Chapter 4.
- You will be asked to use an email address and password for this Chapter Facebook business page.
- Note: It is of vital importance that you use the chapter email address for this page and that you use a password that is easily transferred to the next person who will be maintaining the chapter Facebook page. A universal type password could be the chapter city name and number (e.g. Naples160 or Chapter1DC). Be certain that everyone on your board knows the username (chapter email address) and password for this account.
- You must have either the black and white I.I. logo or cherry blossom (preferred) as one of the constant pictures on your Chapter page.
Before you begin
- Go to Facebook.com and type in the search bar ( see picture below) the words Ikebana or Ikebana International and a city or chapter name to be directed to other Ikebana International Facebook pages.
- Read this guide prepared by GoDaddy.com which is full of useful ideas and tips.
- Know your chapter email address and an easy to remember password for your FB account
- Review the two YouTube video’s linked below
- Setting the privacy rules is important
- Discuss with your board what should be on the FB page
- You can always add or revise the page; it doesn’t have to have everything on day one!
- Take time to organize materials
- Have some photos of your chapter activities (they can be past activities) handy to put on the new FB page
- Know the dates of your upcoming Chapter activities, dates, times, costs, locations handy to put on your page
- Publicize your page to all your chapter members and ask them to like and share it.
- Be prepared for some new members and excitement about your Chapter and its’ activities!
- KEEP IT FRESH
Need help – contact your Regional Advocate, if your Advocate can’t help you, they will put you in touch with someone who can!