Forwarding your chapter email to another email address
We have come to learn there are some issues with monitoring your chapter email address. These issues can primarily be summarized as follows:
- Understandably, the people checking the chapter email account change as officers and other chapter contacts change.
- Those responsible for checking the chapter email account do so infrequently.
When you establish a chapter email address the following is recommended:
- Make the user name and password unique and memorable to your chapter and not to the person establishing the email account.
- Have more than one person know the username and password
- Do not use 2 step verification for your chapter email account as that verification requires a test or email to a cell phone or email account specific to the person establishing the account. It is possible, that the person establishing the account with the phone number associated with 2-step verification may leave the chapter, thus permanently disabling the chapter email account from being transferred to another chapter officer.
How to set up automatic forwarding of your chapter gmail address to any other email address
Sometimes, it is tedious to check your own email and then remember to check the chapter email address. The steps outlined below make it so that the chapter emails can be forwarded to anyone’s personal email account. This insures that important chapter email messages are seen and read on a more consistent and frequent basis.
These instructions are for those chapters who have a gmail.com extension on their chapter email. This is the most common email extension used for North and Central American Region chapters.
The person who handles this “forwarding” should be the person who will be regularly checking the chapter email account. Please know that this can be easily changed to another person as your officers and/or other contact people change. The forwarding address does not have to be a gmail account.
- Open your current chapter email ending in gmail.com by going to www.gmail.com and enter the username and password for this account. Then in the upper right hand corner click on the “Settings” tab which looks like the following symbol circled in red:
- After clicking on the “Settings” symbol you will be directed to a drop down menu that looks like the picture below and click on the word “Settings”.
- Once you have click on the word “Settings”, you will see the following menu and click on the words “Forwarding and POP/IMAP
- After clicking on the words “Forwarding and POP/IMAP and you will see the following
- Now all you need to do is to click on the box “Add a forwarding address” and you will see the following
- Enter the email address where you want the chapter email to be forwarded, and then click “Next”. This does not have to be a gmail.com address, but can be any address you desire.
- You will then be directed to a confirmation box which asks you to check the address where you want the chapter emails to be forwarded. Simply click on the box “Proceed”.
- The recipient for where the emails will now be sent (forwarded) will receive an email in which they have to click on a link to confirm that they will accept the email being forwarded from your chapter email address. After responding to the link sent to the forwarding email, it is necessary to return to the menu, and then press the blue button that permits forwarding of emails. The default setting appears to be to “Disallow” them. Only then will it be complete.
At any time in the future, you can change these “forwarding” directions to another email address of any chapter member.